[avr-gcc-list] Power consumption when dividing the MCU clock

From: John Butera
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Power consumption when dividing the MCU clock
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:28:02 -0600

I am implementing a bootloader based on AVR230 using a mega128 which runs off the internal RC oscillator at 4MHz. The application is pretty large (around 75k) and the resulting encrypted firmware file is about 170k. I first tried 3DES at 9600bps, which was taking an obscene amount of time to complete. Using regular DES at 9600bps took about 15 minutes. I recompiled the supplied Update program to transmit at 57.6kbps instead of the default 9600bps, and updating took about 10 minutes.

What I could do is change the RC oscillator to run at 8MHz for the bootloader, and then use the XDIV register to divide the clock down to 4MHz in the application section. The datasheet recommends the usage of XDIV to save power when less processing speed is needed. However, the RC oscillator would still be running at 8MHz. How would that impact the power consumption? I'm guessing that the RC oscillator's power consumption is negligible compared to the rest of the MCU. Am I way off here? I guess 10 minutes for updating the firmware isn't terribly bad, especially with a startup CRC check which I have drop back into the bootloader on failure.

TIA,
John