[avr-gcc-list] Hello; Linux gcc and Tiny26L questions

From: Ned Konz
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Hello; Linux gcc and Tiny26L questions
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:13:19 -0800

Hi everyone!

I just joined the list. I've got a fair amount of experience using C on little
8-bit micros (mostly the PIC 18Fs and the Motorola '12s), but haven't used
gcc yet for anything below 32 bits.

I would prefer to stay away from Windows if at all possible.

I've got a project that I'd like to do using the Attiny26L that looks to be
ideal for C (if I can get the code small enough).

I'd also like to be able to do some debugging using GDB.

I've got a few questions that you might be able to help with:

---------
Q: Can anyone tell me what connections to the target system (for a Tiny26L
part) are supported under Linux using gdb?
---------

I've installed the following packages from the main Debian repository (I
think):

avr-libc        20030512cvs-1   Standard C library for Atmel AVR development
avrdude 4.3.0-1 Programmer for Atmel AVR microcontrollers
binutils-avr            2.13.90.1.030512        Binary utilities that support
Atmel's AVR targ
gcc-avr 3.2.90.20030512-0.1     The GNU C compiler (cross compiler for avr).

I notice that there seem to be newer versions of these packages available as
RPMs from http://ftp.gnu.org/savannah/files/avr-libc/released/ .

    * avr-binutils-2.14-1.i386.rpm
    * avr-gcc-3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
    * avr-gcc-c++-3.3.1-1.i386.rpm
    * avr-gcc-3.3.2-1.i386.rpm
    * avr-gcc-c++-3.3.2-1.i386.rpm
    * avr-gdb-6.0-1.i386.rpm
    * avr-libc-1.0-1.i386.rpm
    * avr-libc-docs-1.0-1.i386.rpm
    * avr-libc-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm
    * avr-libc-docs-1.0.1-1.i386.rpm
    * avr-libc-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm
    * avr-libc-docs-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm

I don't see any later (released) versions of avrdude, though.

---------
Q: Does anyone know if there are corresponding Debian packages, or should I
just load the RPMs using alien?
---------

I did see in the CVS for avrdude that there is (now) a definition for the
Futurlec cable, which I have:

programmer
           id    = "futurlec";
           desc  = "Futurlec.com programming cable.";
           type  = par;
           reset = 3;
           sck   = 2;
           mosi  = 1;
           miso  = 10;
         ;

---------
Q: Has anyone used this board (with its 8515) and/or parallel programming
cable yet, or should I just ignore it and use my breadboard or get an STK-500
or something?
---------

Thanks,
--