Re: [avr-gcc-list] Hello; Linux gcc and Tiny26L questions

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Hello; Linux gcc and Tiny26L questions
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 21:29:39 +0100 (MET)

As Ned Konz <address@hidden> wrote:

>Q: Can anyone tell me what connections to the target system (for a Tiny26L
>part) are supported under Linux using gdb?

None.  The Tiny26L isn't in-system debuggable.

Currently, under Unix, only the ATmegas with >= 16 KB ROM are
in-system debuggable, using a JTAG ICE.  It is said that future AVRs
will support a one-wire debug interface (starting with the ATtiny2313
IIRC), but so far there is nothing known to make this interface work
under Unix systems.

The JTAG ICE can be connected to GDB using AVaRICE.

Using simulavr, it might be possible to simulate your ATtiny26
application to some degree, albeit simulavr doesn't support the
ATtiny26 itself.  However, since simulavr doesn't support much of the
peripheral devices anyway, it might be possible to run the simulation
on the supported AT90S2313 instead which is similar to the tiny26.

There's also the (payware) VMLAB simulation that runs well enough
under Wine.  You can download a 30-day trial version from them.  It's
a really good IO simulation, but it comes with a builtin debugging
system, so no GDB.  Hmm, just looked there, they don't support the
tiny26 either, so likewise, you gotta resort to the AT90S2313 instead.

>I did see in the CVS for avrdude that there is (now) a definition for the
>Futurlec cable, which I have:

Please submit this on the avrdude patches page (on savannah.nongnu.org).