Re: [avr-gcc-list] How not to use special memory area

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How not to use special memory area
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:32:31 +1100

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 02:21:40PM +0100, Adib Taraben wrote:
> On my board (ATMega103) there is the area from 0x1000 to 0x1fff used for
> special IO chips. The CS is generated via GALs.
> Now I am afraid that the compiler put some variables in that area. How
> can I prevent this?

AFAIK, the ATMega103 RAM ends at 0xFFF, so a correctly set up linker
script should only allocate that much, and an attempt to pour in more
Spaten than a maß holds should result in an error like:

avr-ld: address 0x801000 of app.elf section .bss is not within region data
or
avr-ld: address 0x801000 of app.elf section .noinit is not within region data

To check, have a look at your linker script, or simply declare larger
arrays until the error is triggered. Then you'll know if it knows what
you know.

Regards,
Erik