Re: [avr-gcc-list] JTag, AVaRICE and AVR-GDB problem

From: j_bastian
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] JTag, AVaRICE and AVR-GDB problem
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 9:43:37 -0500

<J"org Wunsch> wrote:
>>(such as when issuing a "remote localhost 4242" command to AVR-GDB).
>
>target remote :4242

Sorry for the misquote, I did use the colon in both the AVaRICE command and the
AVG-GDB command.

<Brian> wrote:
>Try slowing the JTAG clock down with the avarice command line -B option. I
>>would start with 125KHz, especially if you have a part that's got a virgin
>>fuse-map.

The AVaRICE that I am using (AVaRICE version 2.0.20030825cvs, Sep 12 2003
12:56:48) does not seem to support the -B option, or I am not forming the
command correctly. The -B option does not show up in the --help listing, so
what would be the command line syntax for using the -B option?

I would not think that this is the problem anyway, because I am running the
chip on an external 4MHz oscillator (and I tried the internal 8MHz RC this
morning without success :( ).

The thing that I find strange is that AVaRICE reports the AVR-GDB connection as
being on different ports than the one I am trying to connect on. This morning I
have tried to use port 4242 for both AVaRICE and AVR-GDB, but when I try to do
the connections from AVR-GDB, AVaRICE reported:

"Waiting for connection on port 4242.
Connection opened by host 127.0.0.1, port 1143.
gdb exited."

"Waiting for connection on port 4242.
Connection opened by host 127.0.0.1, port 1311.
gdb exited."

"Waiting for connection on port 4242.
Connection opened by host 127.0.0.1, port 1531.
gdb exited."

(I have ran the "set remoteaddresssize 32" and "set remote Z-packet enable"
commands at the <gdb> prompt.)

The "opened by" port changes each time.

After trying to connect to AVaRICE, AVaRICE exits, but the Yellow LED on the
JTag-ICE (JTag communication indicator) flashes continuously.

All help appreciated.
JerryB