[avr-gcc-list] jtag gdb linux

From: honschu
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] jtag gdb linux
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:34:43 +0200

Hi

I boght a Atmega16 for a leasure-time project:
http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~fritzc/lang_e/tac_descent.html

From all over the web I grabbed free libs, examples, ideas and inspirations
for avr-gcc and avrlibc to finally load them by uisp. All is done under
Linux.

It's really funny to program a MCU in C, and I learned some things too.
Time goes by and the lines of code are still growing and things are getting
bigger. Here and there is an error, but the really worth errors are errors
which generate Reseting of the ATmega16. Maybe I use too mutch memory?!?

So it would be great to have a running gdb session (ddd) connected to the jtag
interface of the Atmega16.

I googled a bit and found AVaRICE http://avarice.sourceforge.net/ which would
fit my needs.
But a very expensive extra device is needed - the "AVR JTAG ICE"
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=2737

by http://www.reichelt.de it costs 399 EURO which is mutch too expensive for
my pocket.

Is there a schematic for a homebuild kind of "AVR JTAG ICE" which is
compatible to AVaRICE ?

I saw a APPNOTE on avrfreaks.net which describes the JTAG-Session-Talk, so I
think there should be some 3rd party products.

For example, the "AVR-JTAG by OLIMEX Ltd"
( http://www.avrfreaks.net/Tools/showtools.php?ToolID=511 )
is this device compatible to AVaRICE?

Is there another program than AVaRICE for Linux ?

best regards

---
honschu lee