Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc code generation and initialization of the re

From: Julius Luukko
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-gcc code generation and initialization of the return stack
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 08:21:21 +0300

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 17:13, Torleif Sandnes wrote:
> Hi.
>
> While adding debug support for avr-gcc elf/dwarf object files in AVR
> Studio, we have come upon a problem with some of the code generated by
> avr-gcc.
>
> Quoting an e-mail from my colleague Svenn-Ivar:
> > It seems like the main function does an re-initialization of the return
> > stack (SPL/SPH). Actually, the new JTAGICE mkII expects the stack pointer
> > not to be modified this way apart from in the system startup-code, or the
> > single-stepping mechanisms wont work. The avr-gcc does set up the stack
> > properly in the startup-code, so I dont clearly see why it's done over
> > again in 'main'.

Hello Torleif and all,

Is the new JTAGICE mkII affected by context switching systems (real-time
operating systems) which change the stack pointer in every context switch?
This is not even related to the compiler used, even though at least some of
the commercial compilers for avr do have another software stack.

--
D.Sc. Julius Luukko
Laboratory of Control Engineering/Department of Electrical Engineering