Re: [avr-gcc-list] Make file to recursivly generate code for more than

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Make file to recursivly generate code for more than one target ?
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:07:28 +0200

On 2004/06/03 at 09:31 E. Weddington wrote:

>On 2 Jun 2004 at 22:56, Anton Erasmus wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone have a nice example of a makefile that can generate code
>> for more than one target ? On one PCB I can use either the ATMega16 or
>ATMega32.
>> I want my makefile to generate a target_16.rom and a target_32.rom every
>time I
>> build the code. For library code it would also be nice to be able to
>build the
>> library for all possible AVR targets with one make command.
>>
>> Regards
>>    Anton Erasmus
>
>[Note: I'm replying to the list as well as personally, but I've had some
>recent
>problems with messages not getting to the list.]
>
>Take a look at the make user manual. You'll find that make can recursively
>call
>itself. So you can set up seperate targets for building the mega16 and for
>building the mega32. Then create another target which all it does is
>recursively calls make to clean the project (via a target), then makes the
>mega16 target, cleans the project again, and then makes the mega32 target.
>
>HTH
>Eric

Hi,

I have read through the makefile docs, even bought a book on make by O'Reilly.
With enough
persistance I have managed to do quite a few things with make. I find however
that an explained
working example helps a lot to understand everything. Debugging the makefiles
can be quite painfull
because one often gets a terse "Nothing to make" or some other non-sensical
error, when one makes
a small mistake.
My current version of the makefile, I do a "make MCU=<arch>" which generates a
target
file of target_arch.rom. I would like to have a list of avr types in the
makefile: something like
MCUS=atmega8 atmega16 atmega128
then on doing a make, it should build
target_atmega8.rom, target_atmega16.rom and target_atmega128.rom

It seems that one either get extremely simple basic makefiles, or super complex
ones generated by
automake type tools.

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

[Note: I received only one copy, so it seems you still have some problems with
sending to the list]