[avr-gcc-list] port access with avr-gdb

From: Rob MacLachlan
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] port access with avr-gdb
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:15:13 -0400

Yes. it is possible to set I/O registers directly using GDB, but it's a pain because the port location and format info is #defines in header files, and is not known to GDB. For this reason, I've never done this other than as an experiment. In comparison to the register browser of AVRStudio, this is rather lacking. You have to convert the I/O register number into a data space address, cast it to an appropriate type, then assign to it.

I thought of writing some tool to translate the header file into a gdb script as a way to get this info into gdb, but never did. I suppose a better solution would be to get this imported as symbol table info somehow.

  Rob