[avr-gcc-list] Re: binutils/gas patch for ldi adiw ldd

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: binutils/gas patch for ldi adiw ldd
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:48:57 +1100

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 01:49:13PM +0100, Klaus Rudolph wrote:

> P.S. I have no idea why offsets could not be created from "unknown"
> sections. Here the gas is allways giveing a error message. that makes
> no sense I think because the relocation is done later. Bug or feature?
> Any idea how to fix it?

Klaus,

   A brief experiment with gas for the PowerPC shows that this is
another avr-as "feature". PowerPC code which assembles fine in .text
also gives no problems in section .frog:

   .section ".sbss","a"
   .align 2
alpha:
   .skip 4
beta:

   .section ".frog","arx"

gamma:
   stw   r4,beta - alpha(r7)        # Sorry, this is PowerPC assembler,
   stw   r5,delta - gamma(r7)       # shown only to prove that "full
delta:                              # pressure" gas can do it.

This correctly produces:

Disassembly of section .frog:

00000000 <gamma>: /------------/------< Correct offsets of 4 and 8.
   0: 90 87 00 04    stw   r4,4(r7)
   4: 90 a7 00 08    stw   r5,8(r7)

I'll google for that GNU Internals Manual that you mentioned, but maybe
assisting with the testsuite is a shorter term goal.

Erik