Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problem building gcc-4.0-2004128 for avr

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Problem building gcc-4.0-2004128 for avr
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 09:57:00 -0700

Bernard Fouché wrote:

Thanks Ted, it now works! Should I fill a bug report (or a documentation
need)? Obviously building in another directory changed from "prefered" to
"mandatory".

Bernard

No, please don't. The GCC developers are very aware of this situation. I can't remember whether they have now declared that building in a different directory is now "mandatory" or whether it is just "preferred" because they know that building-in-source-dir is broken. I see this conversation come up on the GCC mailing list from time to time. They'll eventually resolve it one way or another.

But just remember that building GCC in a different directory other than the source directory is pretty much the canonical way to do it.

Thanks
Eric