Re: [avr-gcc-list] binutils/.../testsuite/avr

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] binutils/.../testsuite/avr
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:12:31 -0700

Ben L. Titzer wrote:

My preliminary ideas for that would be the following: a suite of small C programs that contain a main() method that contains the various code to be tested (i.e. method calls, various expressions, complex branching, access IO registers, etc, etc) that cover a broad base of functionality. A single global variable in the C program would receive the ultimate result of that computation--for example the accumulated value of a complex loop. Then when compiled, the memory location at which that global variable is extracted from the symbol table information in the binary. That address and the expected value (which is only set to the correct value by in-program tests) can be passed to the simulator through the test file (as it is now--simply comments with @Result = <list of state predicates>).

As far as Avrora goes, all of this functionality exists and is working.

Could be a good idea to set up a robust and rigorous test suite for the code generation of avr-gcc.

Any testsuite for GCC needs to be able to be integrated with the rest of the GCC test suite which includes using the tools: DejaGnu, Tcl, and Expect. See the GCC web page on testing:
<http://gcc.gnu.org/install/test.html>
Granted they are talking more about testing a host compiler. But, we need to find out if , and how, any cross targets are being tested and see if that method would work for the AVR. If there is no precedent, then I would feel more comfortable about putting together any custom solution necessary for the AVR. Somehow we need to be able to run the tests that are currently in the GCC test suite.

Eric