[avr-gcc-list] agv-gcc with AVR Studio 4

From: David Kelly
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] agv-gcc with AVR Studio 4
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:24:53 -0600

I've RTFM'ed the past week and if its documented then I haven't found TFM. Have the new USB AVRICE mkII which to the best of my knowledge is only supported (for now) by the latest AVR Studio, which apparently doesn't have the same hooks for avrgcc as the 3.x series did. Did find it interesting there is an avrgcc icon in AVR Studio. Haven't figured out how to use it. Only seem to be able to create an "assembler" project.

No problem with Makefile from a command shell. Have no problems building with -gdwarf-2 ELF format. And almost no problems converting to COFF. But I can't figure out how to get AVR Studio to load *my* compiled code produced outside of AVR Studio.

"Almost no problems converting to COFF." Using avr-objcopy in WinAVR says no debugging data found, but using the avr-gcc port on FreeBSD doesn't have the same problem.

Not that it really matters but avr-gcc hosted on FreeBSD 5.3 450 MHz PII is about 3 times faster than WinAVR on XP Pro 2 GHz P4 and 10 times faster than XP when the XP's working directory is on the company's stupid Windows fileserver.

Have selected ATmega128, and before messing with real hardware am trying to use the simulator.

So where did I make the wrong turn and fail to get there from here? Did I install AVR Studio incorrectly? Should WinAVR have been installed before or after? But for now I'd be almost happy if only I could load my binaries in the ICE and/or simulator.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden