Re: [avr-gcc-list] Programming the ATMEGA128

From: Ormund Williams
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Programming the ATMEGA128
Date: 13 Dec 2004 00:18:55 -0500

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 23:12, wbounce wrote:
> >From the data sheet
> . SS - Port B, Bit 0
> SS: Slave Port Select input. When the SPI is enabled as a slave, this
> pin is configured
> as an input regardless of the setting of DDB0. As a slave, the SPI is
> activated when this
> pin is driven low. When the SPI is enabled as a master, the data
> direction of this pin is
> controlled by DDB0. When the pin is forced to be an input, the pull-up
> can still be controlled
> by the PORTB0 bit.
> Table 31 and Table 32 relate the alternate functions
> End data sheet
>
> Not to agrue that point, but that pin is the only pin that seems
> remotely related to programming. Anyhow, I can not send anything to the
> board or read anything from the board right now.

You are reading the wrong section of the datashee, go to page 301.

> After looking the 2 documents I used to build my programmer cable, I
> have to say you are correct they do not mention SS they only mention
> RESET,SCK, MOSI, MISO, and ground. And the header is called a ISP header
> not a SPI header.

I think you need to check that the Avrdude configuration you are using
matches the pinout of your "programmer cable".  Is you cable connected
to the parallel port?  If so check the following connections:

        ISP             Parallel Port
       -------------------------------
        vcc ----------> Pin ?
        reset --------> Pin ?
        sck ----------> Pin ?
        mosi ---------> Pin ?
        miso ---------> Pin ?

Do they match the programmer entry in avrdude.conf that you are using?

I made my own cable and added this entry to avrdude.conf:

        programmer
          id     = "cheap";
          desc   = "Cheap parallel port programmer with no buffers";
          type   = par;
          reset  = 16;
          sck    = 1;
          mosi   = 2;