Re: [avr-gcc-list] Troubles with Installing WinAVR (Windows)

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Troubles with Installing WinAVR (Windows)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:48:15 -0700

gary griswold wrote:

I have been messing around installing WinAVR this week.  I am having some
difficulty.
I see nothing wrong with path or set variables.  I cannot find any explanation
of
exit codes.  I don't know what error 3 is and I'd like some direction to take
from
here.

My machine is Windows 98 running on a Pentium 3. I have been succcessfuly
compiling
and loading assembler.
My environment and two of my trial runs:

PATH=:
PATH=C:\WINAVR\BIN;C:\WINAVR\UTILS\BIN;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;:\;:\;C:\DOS;C:\NORTON;C:\DOS\SEDT;C:\MOTOR\ASSEMBLY
Path looks fine.

SET=:
PROMPT=$p$g
SEDT=c:\dos\sedt\
PATH=C:\WINAVR\BIN;C:\WINAVR\UTILS\BIN;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;:\;:\;C:\DOS;C:\NORTON;C:\DOS\SEDT;C:\MOTOR\ASSEMBLY
AVR=C:\WINAVR
CC=avr-gcc
AVRLIB = C:\WINAVR\AVRLIB

Hold on. You don't need AVR, CC, or AVRLIB set. Do you happen to have an old AVR Freaks distribution installed before this? If so, you should uninstall WinAVR (just to make sure), uninstall the old AVR Freaks distribution, then reinstall WinAVR. IMO, you can get rid of those environment variables that I listed.

BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 P330
CMDLINE=dr
PROMPT=$p$g

trial 1/16:

avr-gcc -c -g  -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wa,-ahlms=gcctest1.lst
-mmcu=at90s8515
-I. gcctest1.c -o gcctest1.o

Do NOT use the gcctest examples. They are out-of-date.

abnormal program termination
make.exe: *** [gcctest1.o] Error 3

I don't know about error 3 either. But do the above first to see if it helps.

Eric