[avr-gcc-list] avr1.org server misconfiguration

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] avr1.org server misconfiguration
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:17:58 -0800

I have been unable to send email to the avr-gcc-list for a very long time, and I finally figured out why. Specifically, if I telnet to port 25 (SMTP) of avr1.org (202.37.230.18) from my server, I got Connection Refused. Yet doing the same thing from my laptop worked just fine...

What I realized is that my laptop has TCP ECN (Early Congestion Notification, http://www.icir.org/floyd/ecn.html) turned off, whereas my home server has it turned on. Turning it off allowed sendmail to connect and finally deliver all the pending mail. This is why you're all now getting a flood of email from me that's rather back-dated and out of order (yay for threaded email clients, go Thunderbird!).

However, ECN is considered to be a standard feature of the modern Internet, having been rolled out in force 2, 3, or even maybe 4 years ago (not sure exactly). Some checking around with tcptraceroute indicates that the problem most likely exists at the avr1.org server itself, and not somewhere up the router chain.

This is usually due to a really old Linux kernel that predates proper ECN functionality, which puts it back in the early 2.4.x series (not even 2.4.xx as far as I remember). All recent (<3 years old) versions of Linux, Windows, IOS, etc. have it turned on by default, as it's expected that 99++% of all routers and servers on the net deal with it properly.

If anyone else is having problems sending mail to this list, check your mail server and turn ECN off until this is fixed. In Linux you want to set /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn to 0. And notify any remaining sites out on the net that don't work properly with ECN, as it means they need to upgrade either their router or server to a more recent version, ECN or not (lots and lots of vulnerabilities in older Linux, IOS, etc. versions besides not playing with ECN right).

TTYL,
    Omega
    aka Erik Walthinsen
    address@hidden