[avr-gcc-list] atmega16, atmega162 avrdude downloading

From: Owen Osborn
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] atmega16, atmega162 avrdude downloading
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:58:44 +0000

Hi,
First thanks to everyone who makes these tools possible. I don't know where I'd be without them. I am having a problem downloading to the atmega16 and atmega162 chips using avrdude. First I try to erase the device using the following command with a parallel port cable I made (named owensCable in config file):

avrdude -p m162 -c owensCable -e

With the atmega162 there is no response from the chip at all, and i get the following:

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
        Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
        this check.

   Running the command with the atmega16, I get something a little better:

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e8502
avrdude: current erase-rewrite cycle count is -65208577 (if being tracked)
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude done.  Thank you.

The strange thing, however, is that it returns a different device signature each time I run this. I know something is working because this command works fine with an atmega8, returning the correct device signature each time. I can't figure out what is differnt with the larger chips.

thanks

owen