[avr-gcc-list] Debugging assembler sources with avr-studio

From: Björn Haase
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging assembler sources with avr-studio
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:37:37 +0100

Hi,

I did not try to debug assembler files with dwarf-2 debugging information so
far. However, I have had exactly the same trouble some time ago when using
cof-Files and Jörg's debugging format converter.

At that time the problem was that I never succeeded in generating debugging
information for the assembler sources when assembling with avr-gcc. I.e.
assembling foo.S with

avr-gcc -c foo.S  your-prefered-other-option-list -o foo.o

did not include any debugging information on the asm-sources.
What did work however was usage of

avr-gas foo.S other-options -o foo.o

. The object files generated by launching avr-gas explicitly did contain the
line-number references when passing the appropriate command line switches. At
the time I had the impression that avr-gcc simply did not pass the correct
options to avr-gas for generating the debugging options so using the
c-compiler as a driver for gas seemed not to be a good idea.

Please report on your results.

Yours,

Björn