RE: [avr-gcc-list] Unable to debug code relocated with "-Ttext="(e.g. bo

From: Eivind Sivertsen
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Unable to debug code relocated with "-Ttext="(e.g. bootloader)
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 11:25:57 +0200

> >>AFAIK, this is a known issue with AVR Studio: it can't debug
> >>bootloaders. Best to ask Atmel directly to see if they have a fix for
> >>this yet.
> >>

> >Correction,
> >AVRStudio CAN debug bootloaders, i.e. with UBROF-8 it can
> (IAR-proprietary
> >format).
> >However there seems to some discrepancies with the ELF/DWARF
> output or the
> >utilization of it :)
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Eivind
> >

> Sorry Eivind, that's what was implied.
>
> Since this is a mailing list about GCC, I was assuming that GCC was the
> compiler being used.  AVR Studio can only read [E]COFF/stabs and
> ELF/DWARF2 file formats/debug formats from the GCC compiler. IIRC, AVR
> Studio *had* an issue where it would not read in sections other than
> .text, which means that it won't read in, for example, a .bootloader
> section. But I can't remember if Torleif has already fixed this issue or
> not, and whether it's sitting somewhere in a development tree there
> waiting to be released. ;-)

Hi guys,

as you are aware of, naming the sections is not the real problem.
Also relocated .text sections will cause problems. More serious is the
16-bit address limitation.

What is the real problem here?
- the DWARF/2 specs?
- The gcc DWARF output?

This is interesting, since the larger devices are perhaps the ones most
often equipped with bootloaders :)

Best regards,
Eivind