Re: [avr-gcc-list] Watching automatic variables in AVR Studio

From: Torleif Sandnes
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Watching automatic variables in AVR Studio
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 07:39:38 +0200

 > When I set a watch on a global variable in AVR Studio, the watch works
as expected. But I haven't had any luck with watching automatic
variables; AVR Studio always reports "Not in scope."

Is that just the way it is? It's been two years since I developed on
the AVR, and I thought you could watch automatics before, but maybe
that's wishful remembering. I was one of the early beneficiaries of
J"org's extended coff tools, which seems to have been superceded by
elf dwarf-2 support in AVR Studio, so I'm using elf now:

This may be a side-effect of optimization or debugging another part than you compiled for.
Which optimization flags do you compile with?
Try to turn optimization off and see if stack variables are correctly displayed then.

If this does not solve your problem, please send me a simple example project where this problem appears.

You could also try
>avr-readelf -wi yourobjectfile|less
and see if the location of stack variables makes sense.

Regards,

Torleif Sandnes
Atmel AVR Software Team