Re: [avr-gcc-list] 'Volatile'

From: Mike Murphree
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] 'Volatile'
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:22:01 -0500 (CDT)

E. Weddington said:
> Colin Paul Gloster wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 08:53:52PM -0700, stevech wrote:
>>"My Two Cents:  Operating system functions like atomic access and
>> mutual exclusion and multitasking do *not* belong in a programming
>> language standard. The DoD tried it years ago with Ada and it was a
>> huge failure."

I worked at one of the companies that used at Ada and I don't remember it
being a huge failure.  The reason it disappeared had nothing to do with
its multitasking capability.   Ada was also the basis for the hardware
description language VHDL, which is still in wide-spread usage today.

> As a side note to this interesting discussion: The Ada language compiler
>  will be coming soon to a WinAVR release.

I'll have to dust off my old moldy books then...

Mike