Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging a bootloader with JTAGICE mkII

From: Wallace White
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging a bootloader with JTAGICE mkII
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 06:22:22 -0700

Hi J"org -

On 4/22/05, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:

> Wallace White <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > What setup are folks using to debug bootloaders, specifically with
> > the JTAGICE mkII? Or are they?
>
> Debug it as a standalone application (i.e. use a relocated .text
> instead of .bootloader section).

I think I could do that... my whole program may get too big to fit
into the bootloader memory region, but I could arrange the functions
such that the necessary ones wind up in the bootloader.

As for the lookup table, I suppose I could just locate it in .text
too. I was aligning it to a page boundary, to simplify programming by
page. I tried using the align directive, but it generated an error
when using a value greater than 1!

> Alas, on the ATmega128, you'll run into the additional problem that
> GCC doesn't emit the correct DWARF information above 64 KB (has been
> discussed here).  Maybe COFF works better in that case, I don't know.

Lucky for me I'm using the ATmega32.

Is there a list of these known issues? I don't see them on the
SourceForge bug tracker for WinAVR.

> > I would try gdb and avarice, but I read in the WinAVR manual that
> > avarice doesn't yet support the JTAGICE mkII.
>
> That will for sure happen, perhaps even very soon. <grin>

Would you elaborate? I'd be very interested in that.

Thanks,
Wallace