Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging a bootloader with JTAGICE mkII

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging a bootloader with JTAGICE mkII
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 06:37:43 -0600

Wallace White wrote:

Hi J"org -

On 4/22/05, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:
I think I could do that... my whole program may get too big to fit
into the bootloader memory region, but I could arrange the functions
such that the necessary ones wind up in the bootloader.

As for the lookup table, I suppose I could just locate it in .text
too. I was aligning it to a page boundary, to simplify programming by
page. I tried using the align directive, but it generated an error
when using a value greater than 1!
IIRC, the alignment on the AVR port is set to 1, so I'm not surprised that you got an error when trying to change (increase) that alignment. I *thought* there was something in the GCC manual about this, but I don't have a reference handy.

Alas, on the ATmega128, you'll run into the additional problem that
GCC doesn't emit the correct DWARF information above 64 KB (has been
discussed here).  Maybe COFF works better in that case, I don't know.

Lucky for me I'm using the ATmega32.
Is there a list of these known issues? I don't see them on the
SourceForge bug tracker for WinAVR.
I currently keep a list of known AVR issues (for GCC) over at the RTEMS website wiki:
<http://rtems.org/phpwiki/index.php/GCCAVRBugs>

This page might eventually move to a more AVR-centric website at some point in the future, i.e. when I get any spare time to do so.

I would try gdb and avarice, but I read in the WinAVR manual that
avarice doesn't yet support the JTAGICE mkII.
That will for sure happen, perhaps even very soon. <grin>

Would you elaborate? I'd be very interested in that.

Various avarice developers have said that they would like to add the mkII support to avarice, but it always seems to have been delayed. Jörg will very probably be adding the mk II support to avarice, and very soon, because he has a mandate to do so.

Eric