Re: [avr-gcc-list] Growing .data section when compiling with GCC 4.0 ins

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Growing .data section when compiling with GCC 4.0 instead of GCC 3.4.3
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:25:47 -0600

Bernard Fouché wrote:

Bingo! I'm back to my usual .data size when I compile with -mno-tablejump.

Should I fill a bug report? Is this a bug anyway? I think so since I do not see why the array is built in ram, it should be in flash since all addresses are constants..

I'm not sure that it is a bug, per se. It's known that some swtich statements get compiled into tables which can increase the size of the code.

Perhaps you could file an "enhancement request" to optimize that part of AVR GCC. You fill out a bug report as usual, but you just change the category to enhancement.

Eric