Re: [avr-gcc-list] Growing .data section when compiling with GCC 4.0 ins

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Growing .data section when compiling with GCC 4.0 instead of GCC 3.4.3
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:49:43 -0600

Dave Hylands wrote:

Hi Eric,

[Discussions about switch statements getting compiled into jump tables with the jump tables stored in RAM.]

I'm not sure that it is a bug, per se. It's known that some swtich
statements get compiled into tables which can increase the size of the code.

It's really an issue of whether the tables are stored in flash or in
RAM. Actually, because they're in RAM, they take up space twice, once
in flash (used to initialize the RAM) and once in RAM, where they're
actually used.

Sure. I don't know for sure, though, but I would guess that that section of the port hasn't really changed, so in essence it's not a bug. It's a mis-feature, so technically it would be an enhancement request. Somebody who is more familiar with the AVR port (see new additions to CC list) can perhaps comment.

Eric