Re: [avr-gcc-list] Pointers below address 32

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Pointers below address 32
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 06:42:53 +0200

As Björn Haase wrote:

> I never tried it, but is it actually really possible to access
> registers by using pointer expressions?

At least, it's documented that way.

It's probably one of the lesser tested features, so the only problem
could be silicon bugs that have never been observed before because
nobody ever tried it. ;-)

> If that's possible, one could possibly shorten the function
> prologues and epilogues considerably when optimizing for size.

That sounds like a good idea, but you also need to compare it against
the -mcall-prologues option (which also trades speed for code size).