Re: [avr-gcc-list] multiplexed display question

From: Terry Karlson
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] multiplexed display question
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:09:40 -0400

Radu Ciurlea wrote:
Hello everybody. I'm just starting out with AVR microcontrollers and I'm trying to figure out how to use multiplexed LED displays. I am using an ATmega8 with a 8 Mhz crystal, and two LED digit displays. The displays are connected to a CD4511 decoder which is in turn connected to PC0-PC3.

Tangent: since you say you're just starting out, I'll ask: are you using
a 4511 because you don't have 3 more port pins to spare?  What I'm
suggesting is the choice of using 7 port pins to directly drive the
segments (i.e. drop the 4511), and doing the decoding in sw.

-Terry Karlson