Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: avr-gcc-4.0.0 for Win (Jurek Szczesiul)

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Re: avr-gcc-4.0.0 for Win (Jurek Szczesiul)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:20:29 -0600

Jurek Szczesiul wrote:

Here are all the known issues for the AVR port:
<http://rtems.org/phpwiki/index.php/GCCAVRBugs>
You can find a number of DWARF2 issues in that list.

Hi Eric , thanks for this link.
However, the list of issues is not funny :-(
Then, perhaps Joerg's binutils elfcoff patch
will be still continued ?
It's questionable whether the elfcoff patch will continue. Eventually we would like for it to go away. AVR Studio, for GCC, is moving towards using ELF and DWARF2. AVR GDB apparently can use DWARF2. I know of one commercial simulator that has just written in support for DWARF2, and another commercial simulator that is planning for DWARF2 support. Yet, it's somewhat troubling that there are these bug reports for DWARF2 support in AVR GCC.

Perhaps Atmel can comment on whether they think it would be prudent to continue the ELFCOFF convertor in the toolset until these problems can get worked out?

Is a 2.16 patch version available yet ?
No. Last I checked, Joerg said he doesn't have the time to update it. I might have some time later on, but it's questionable.

Eric