Re: [avr-gcc-list] What method should I use to get started?

From: hanzl
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] What method should I use to get started?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 18:04:22 +0200

>>Do you know C language?
>
> Yes but I need to remind myself of it a bit.

I was very pleased by this online "C book":

  http://publications.gbdirect.co.uk/c_book

It is short but goes to details exactly where I want them.

> ...displaying temperature and moisture on an LCD display.
>
> Are there any specific type of AVR processor that is good for the
> above project as well as for getting started?

ATmega8L in contactless breadboard is what I use to have some fun with
my students:

- is about $3
- can be programmed in C
- 28 pins fit nicely to small breadboard
- self-made "bsd" LPT programmer is easy to make & connect
- works without power supply (power drawn from LPT)
- final app can be done in that really cute small LQFP package
- upgrade path till ATmega128 or more

I also use 8-pin ATtiny15L to get used to the programmer and avrdude
(in assembler).

This way everything is very transparent, however you do not have the
debugger. If you want one, consider something else.

(I am considering 40-pin ATmega16 or 32 because of the JTAG and gdb,
but did not try this yet as I would need at least something like the
Olimex ICE clone.)

Regards

Vaclav