Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR-GCC question

From: Parthasaradhi Nayani
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR-GCC question
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 20:08:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hello joerg Wunsch,

--- Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:

> It seems it's the best option, yes.
>
> To make a long story short, defaulting all string
> literals to flash
> basically violates the C standard, as you cannot
> apply any of the C
> standard string functions to these strings anymore.
> (That's the
> reason why any serious compiler doesn't offer this
> as the default
> either.)  In order to handle this correctly, i.e.
> standard compliant,

I guess 'C' standards have evolved or set taking into
account only general purpose computers specially those
running UNIX, DOS etc. But in embedded realm one has
to take into account the kind of resources that are
available, so should one really bother or comply with
standards which are hard to implement in a given
environment?

Perhaps it may be a good idea to have a separate set
of standards for embedded 'C'.

Regards
Nayani

Yahoo! Mail Mobile