Re: [avr-gcc-list] [OT] Need For Speed (FPGA)

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] [OT] Need For Speed (FPGA)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:50:40 +1000

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 03:50:27PM -0700, Reza Naima wrote:
> I've realized that I'm not going to be able to accomplish one of my
> projects using an AVR.  I appologize for emailing on this forum, but
> there are a ton of smart and helpful people here so I thought I would
> ask..

There's always the avr-chat list, as an alternative. :-)

> I'm looking at using an FPGA, and have never used one.

While my bias has been toward Actel, because they're fairly fine
grained, with a pair of chip-internal diagnostic probe liness, have you
looked at the 25 MHz AVRs with (up to 40k gates of) integrated FPGA?
I just took another look:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/param_table.asp?family_id=627&OrderBy=part_no&Direction=ASC

The software tools are a bit of a problem though, if you haven't used a
DOS box in the last 30 years.

Erik