RE: [avr-gcc-list] [OT] Need For Speed (FPGA)

From: Matt.VanDeWerken
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] [OT] Need For Speed (FPGA)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 12:01:08 +1000

Apologies for the continuation of the off-topic thread, but anyway:

In my application I use an AVR with an Altera FPGA to control some ADCs,
and do other stuff. The ADC result is memory-mapped on the external bus
of the AVR, which works well. The FPGA also performs many other
functions, which are easily memory-mapped into the AVR's address space.

I use the internal SRAM of the FPGA for my ADC, but it can be used for
scratch/heap ram of the AVR (trying to keep roughly on-topic...).

I chose Altera because the tools are free (not libre), but Xilinx tools
are also free (but not libre), so there is no advantage to either.

I recommend you look at the two manufacturers web sites, and decide on a
device, then download the tools etc.

The silicon is very cheap for what you get, but pay attention to the
configuration method; some configuration chips are 5x the price of the
FPGA!

If you need more info, feel free to email me off-list (although I won't
be able to reply for a couple of days as I'll be out of the office).

Cheers,
Matthew van de Werken - Electronics Engineer
CSIRO E&M - Mining Geoscience - 1 Technology Court - Pullenvale - 4069
p: (07) 3327 4142 * f: (07) 3327 4455 * e: address@hidden
"Pressure, I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt
up your arse, playing cricket is not"
- Cricketer and WWII Fighter Pilot Keith Miller (1919-2004)