Re: [avr-gcc-list] Rowley Complier Vs GCC

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Rowley Complier Vs GCC
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 08:22:56 +0200 (MET DST)

"Trampas" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I went to an Atmel seminar and they were pushing Rowley Associates'
> compiler, has anyone ever done any comparision between AVR-GCC and
> Rowley's compiler? From what Rowley has on their website it appears
> to produce code 50% the size of avr-gcc.

Hmm, I should have read the lists first.  Please don't send offline
copies of list mails a private mail.

Here's my other reply:

-----

I don't even know what Rowley might be.  Anyway, I *completely* doubt
a 50 % code size saving as a general claim (i.e. outside a single
tailored case).  I think in general, IAR's compiler generates about
the tightest code for the AVR, and they could probably claim some
10...20 % code size savings(*) overall, though this depends on many
factors.  But then, IAR costs many thousands of bucks even for a
single-person single-computer license.(**)

If you want to start yet another compiler war :), got to
avrfreaks.net, and pose the question there.

-----

(*) compared to GCC
(**) and it only runs on Win32