[avr-gcc-list] Problem with Strings and Serial I/O

From: User Tomdean
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Problem with Strings and Serial I/O
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:22:50 -0700 (PDT)

I have another problem with porting an application from 68hc11 to an
stk500.

I have an ATmega16-16 processor, clocked at 3.6864Mhz.

I have a lot of strings loaded into flash, as a processor learning
tool.  Things that dump registers out the UART, etc.

The strings appear to be overwritten by code, etc.  Some are missing
in the output and others appear jumbled.

I reduced the application to one that only sends strings out the UART.
I use a serial_send() and a serial_print() function for the strings.
The serial_print() function calls the serial_send() function until the
end of the string, '\0'.

Looking at flash with avrdude, the strings look OK after a run where I
see strange characters.

Looking at code with avr-objdump -d , I don't see anything wrong.
But, I only looked for an hour.

Any ideas?  I can post the code, if anyone is willing to try it.  At
this point, this would help.

I think that other than compiler options, all that needs changing in
the code is the serial_init() function, to set the proper baud rate.
I have a table at the top of the function.

I only use the avr-gcc supplied avr/io.h.

tomdean