[avr-gcc-list] stk 500 dead - how to fix?

From: Reza Naima
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] stk 500 dead - how to fix?
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:09:26 -0700

I use my stk500 as a power source and it's max232 functionality mostly. I've been powering if by attaching a 12v jumper from the car to one of the pins of the bridge rectifier after the power plug. Not smart, I know. Anyhow, i was having some problems getting the jumper to grab, and a few sparks were flying. Now the board doesn't power up anymore (the status light doesn't do anything).

I just got an smd rework station, and can swap out the bad uC, but i'm wondering - can I just load up the firmware from the website and have it work? Any chance of just reflashing the current chip? I'm not sure what the failure modes of these chips are.
And are there any other sensitive ICs that could have died?

thxn,
reza