Re: [avr-gcc-list] gcc signal overhead, redundant code, bug (?), far fro

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] gcc signal overhead, redundant code, bug (?), far from optimal
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:35:12 -0500

On Aug 18, 2005, at 1:21 PM, Szikra Istvan wrote:

Thank You for the fast response, but I'm not sure if I understand you right.

INTERRUPTs can be interrupted (by other interrupts or signals) and SIGNALS
not.

Yup. And I responded faster than my brain could shift gears and got my INTERRUPT and SIGNAL crossed.

All my questions still remain!

Believe J"org addressed everything in full. That the compiler simply can't know that other routines have left __zero_reg__ alone and the compiler expects to find zero there.

As for SREG, no telling what another routine was doing with the status bits so it too has to be saved and restored before any of its contents possibly get modified. CISC CPUs do this for you when stacking the IRQ, and on RTI.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden