[avr-gcc-list] Saving space in interrupt handler prologues

From: Ben Jackson
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Saving space in interrupt handler prologues
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:53:09 -0700

I don't know if this has been covered already, but noe way to save space
in interrupt handlers is to inline all the functions they call.  Obviously
is it not always practical, but if the functions are split out mainly for
clarity this can be a big win.  The main reason is that if the interrupt
handler doesn't call *any* other functions it isn't obligated to save the
caller-saves registers if it doesn't use them.

Also, I think someone else wanted to know why things sometimes did/did not
get inlined.  gcc tries to be clever about this, so if you want the final
say, try this:

#define NOINLINE __attribute__ ((__noinline__))
#define YESINLINE inline __attribute__ ((__always_inline__))

Make sure to declare the YESINLINE functions static if you don't want a
callable copy for external references.

Also, as far a general prologue bloat goes:  I may have mentioned this
before, but I think a lot of it comes from the fact that AVR GCC generates
16 and 32 bit math in parallel instead of series.  For example, something
like:

        int32 a, b, c;

        a = b | c;

becomes:
        lds r24,b
        lds r25,(b)+1
        lds r26,(b)+2
        lds r27,(b)+3
        lds r18,c
        lds r19,(c)+1
        lds r20,(c)+2
        lds r21,(c)+3
        or r24,r18
        or r25,r19
        or r26,r20
        or r27,r21
        sts a,r24
        sts (a)+1,r25
        sts (a)+2,r26
        sts (a)+3,r27

when it could be:

        lds r24,b
        lds r25,c
        or r24,r25
        sts a,r24

using only 2 registers instead of 8.  None of the load/store instructions
set flag bits, so even math with carry can be done this way.  I don't
think it's a legitimate peephole optimization (though I haven't pondered
it deeply) since qualifiers like 'volatile' would prevent the re-ordering
of the memory accesses.

--
Ben Jackson
<address@hidden>