Re: [avr-gcc-list] Union as parameter

From: Dean Hall
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Union as parameter
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:29:00 -0500

Larry,

Sounds like you're passing the union by value. If you are, can you instead pass it by reference (which would occupy 2 bytes on the stack)? If you're worried about modifying the data in the function, you can shield it with a const declaration. More details here: http://www.embedded.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=9900322

I compiled to assembly a dummy program that used your union. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary (but I'm not an expert in gcc prologue code, so take that statement with a modicum of sodium chloride). One thing you might consider is to make the types in the bits struct all uint32_t. This way you explicitly tell the compiler to pack them all into a 4 byte container. I did this in my dummy program and didn't see a difference, but I didn't see a much of a "riot" in the first place. Maybe my dummy program didn't exercise a certain case of bit manipulation that your program does.

!!Dean