Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-libc and version info macro

From: Henrik Maier
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-libc and version info macro
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:36:33 +1000

Thank you Joerg for the hint. I am obviously not subscribing to right list as I consider myself as a user rather lib developer. Otherwise I would have read your recent post in avr-libc-dev.

I suggest to:
1) Use all three styles of macros. It doesn't seem to hurt and gives the best flexibility. The insertion will be done by configure anyway I suppose. For me it does not make sense to check against minor _without_ checking against a major number. 2) To put it in io.h which then includes version.h. Most users will use the mcu flag in real world applications rather the architecture flag. The idea is that code can be written to compile against any version of avr-libc rather than breaking because version.h does not exist. I am very much in favour of keeping backward compatibility as it improves user confidence. Users, in particular new-comers are too easily scared to use a particular technology when things don't seem to provide the continuity one would expect.

Henrik
--
proconX - Protocol Converter, Device Server and Industrial Gateways
http://www.proconx.com

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
Henrik Maier <address@hidden> wrote:

I am missing a method to check during compile time against a
particular version of avr-libc.

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/avr-libc-dev/2005-08/msg00080.html