[avr-gcc-list] String Utilities and Memories

From: Chinmay Pendharkar
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] String Utilities and Memories
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:32:04 +0800

Hi everyone,

I am a new member of this list. I have just started using AVRs and have been
developing on a mega32 for a few months.

My question is on memory access for string operations. I realise that the two
different memories have different methods of accessing, escpically for string
operations. The programm memory(ROM) can be accessed using the Program Space
String Utilities library from avr-libc. And the RAM can be accessed by the
Strings library from avr-libc.

Is there a way to access both types of memories using a singular function which
will intelligently judge on which of the two libraries is to be used? This
basically leads to the question whether the two memories share address space?
Or, whether a we can tell which memory the pointer is pointing to by looking at
its value(Because, if it is posible then it such an intelligent function can be
created quite easily). If it is possible, are there any libraries which have
implemented such function.

My question arises, since I was trying to create a generic function to read an
process certain strings.I want to make it generic enough to access strings from
different memories.

Hope I am not asking something that has been asked before. Thanks and Nojy,

-Chinmay