Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!

From: Parthasaradhi Nayani
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:52:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Kelly <address@hidden> wrote:
> Windows-anything is 2nd rate. Especially when it
> originates on
> another platform and is ported to Windows.
>
> You don't say anything about how WINCVS failed for
> your group. Am
> guessing it had a lot to do with the fact the users
> didn't know what
> they were doing. The administrators didn't know what
> they were doing
> either. That CVS isn't taught in MCSE class.
>
> For some reason Windows people think an application
> which uses shared
> files on a file server with multiple copies of the
> same application
> is a "network application."
>
> Multiple copies of CVS sharing a repository on a
> file server is a can
> of worms for file access permissions. Practically
> everyone has to
> have read/write for everything. IIRC there is a
> chapter about Windows-
> specific problems like this in the CVS book.
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden

Hello David,
Firstly documentation on WINCVS is very sparse. When
our team tested some features (on a stand alone node)
they found many differences in what is given in the
WINCVS doc (googled and downloaded) and actual
implementation (can mail some examples if need be).
After learning the features the hard way, we tried to
implement on a client-server architecture and it is
here that we were unable to even establish connection!

Can you post link to the CVS book and any other doc
that will help in resolving issues? Lastly is SVN
better? I have no inkling of what VSN is!!! Thanks.

Nayani

http://mail.yahoo.com