Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] CVS or SVN ?!
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 00:20:25 -0500

On Sep 30, 2005, at 10:52 PM, Parthasaradhi Nayani wrote:

Hello David,
Firstly documentation on WINCVS is very sparse. When
our team tested some features (on a stand alone node)
they found many differences in what is given in the
WINCVS doc (googled and downloaded) and actual
implementation (can mail some examples if need be).
After learning the features the hard way, we tried to
implement on a client-server architecture and it is
here that we were unable to even establish connection!

Think I looked at WinCVS about first of this year, for about 10 minutes. IIRC it was only a GUI wrapper on top of CLI tools, and also didn't work for me. Cvsnt was the core. Cvsnt worked from the command line and thats the way I'm used to CVS so that was fine by me.

Shortly after I tried Tortoise CVS and quickly forgot about cvsnt and had long since forgotten about WinCVS. Suggest you try the same.

Don't know that Tortoise includes the server portion. Works on local repository. Probably works on fileserver repository. Works very well via :ext: thru the PuTTY ssh tools which are bundled in Tortoise, which is the way I use it.

Cvsnt appears to have real server mode for Windows. Installs as a service. Look for it in Control Panel. I haven't tried it but suspect if you keep things simple and abandon WinCVS and go direct to cvsnt that it will work.

Then again the very best solution would be to rescue a junk PC. Install a fresh reliable hard drive or mirror a pair of drives. Install FreeBSD. No need to install CVS or ssh as both are in the base FreeBSD. Use this as your CVS server. This is what I do, however I don't consider my 64 MB Dell Optiplex PII-450 to be junk. No matter that I bought it 3 years ago for $100.

Avr-gcc runs as fast on the PII-450 under FreeBSD as the WinAVR version does on 2G P4 with XP Pro. About 5 seconds to build my project on either.

Can you post link to the CVS book and any other doc
that will help in resolving issues? Lastly is SVN
better? I have no inkling of what VSN is!!! Thanks.

http://www.nongnu.org/cvs/ seems to be the official CVS home now.

The book I mention is the Cederqvist reference. PDF, html, and other versions free at http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/

VSN? You mean SVN? Thats "subversion" a cvs-like CVS replacement which addresses shortcomings in CVS which only appeared after CVS was worked hard by large numbers of people. CVS works well enough for me that I haven't bothered looking hard at Subversion.

I suggest you give serious consideration to TortoiseCVS (http:// tortoisecvs.org) and TortoiseSVN (http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/) if you must work from a Windows environment.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden