Re: [avr-gcc-list] Makefile Procyon AVRlib vs AVR-libc and ANSI C

From: Patrick Blanchard
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Makefile Procyon AVRlib vs AVR-libc and ANSI C
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 18:56:41 -0500

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 21:10 +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> Patrick Blanchard <address@hidden> wrote:
> > buffer.o        : buffer.c              buffer.h
> > uart2.o         : uart2.c               uart2.h                 global.h
> > rprintf.o       : rprintf.c             rprintf.h
> > a2d.o           : a2d.c                 a2d.h
> > timer128.o      : timer128.c            timer128.h              global.h
> > lcd.o           : lcd.c                 lcd.h                   global.h
> > i2c.o           : i2c.c                 i2c.h                   global.h
>
> Yet another personal opinion: as long as there's only two or three
> prerequisite targets, the tabbing might be OK, but it's not really
> better readable than reducing all that to just a single space each.
> After all, the relation that is most interesting is everything on one
> line, while the above optically prefers columns (which are completely
> unrelated at all).

I cannot find a good teaching reference for this 'linking' part of the
makefile, so I'm stuck here...

buffer.o:buffer.c buffer.h

what does this do in a makefile? If I were pressed for an answer, I
would guess it has something to do with locating various files for the
final compiled program. If so, thrashing all over the file system either
manually or with a makefile for the pieces of the program seems to be
making things more complicated than they need to be.