Re: [avr-gcc-list] After ATMega

From: Patrick Blanchard
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] After ATMega
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:14:53 -0500

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 08:44 -0700, Galen Seitz wrote:
> Eric Pasquier <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > What new MCU can I use ?
> >
> > - Atmel have AT91SAM7 series: about 50Mips (only 3 times)
> > - others ?
>
> The AT91SAM7 parts are 32 bits, so I believe you would see more than three
> times improvement.  That said, I think a DSP part might be a better choice,
> given what you are implementing.  I'd look at the TI TMS320F2801.

perhaps you might consider cross compiling to more than one platform
with gcc? using a 32 bit platform also opens the option of using a linux
kernel. to begin, you might consider the SH4 platform, which is the Sega
Dreamcast console:ebay has tons for sale - a great 32 bit cross compile
learning platform.

If you want to take this further; 8 bit AVR w/ 32 bit platforms on the
same board, using open source platforms let me know by email.