[avr-gcc-list] Re: [avrdude-dev] Calibration bytes

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Re: [avrdude-dev] Calibration bytes
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:35:44 +0200

As Sumeet Pal Singh wrote:

> When I read calibration memory I get one byte which is 0xa5

There's an error in the avrdude.conf file.  Edit the section about the
ATmega8515 that is named ``memory "calibration"'', and change the line

        size            = 1;

into

        size            = 4;

Sorry, nobody reported that problem before.

I just fixed it in avrdude's CVS.

> and on reading signature I get 0x 1e 93 0e

Forget about the signature byte.  I wonder why Atmel emphasizes that
implementation detail so much.  As your case shows, this only confuses
the users.

The signature bytes are the signature bytes, and for the user of the
chip (or of avrdude), they have no relationship whatsoever with the RC
oscillator calibration bytes.