Re: [avr-gcc-list] First steps with avr-gcc

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] First steps with avr-gcc
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:58:24 -0700

Hi Ludek,

> > %.cod : %.c FORCE
> >         $(ECHO) "Listing $< ..."
> >         $(Q)$(COMPILE.c) -gstabs -Wa,-ahdlms=$@ $<
>
> I wonder what is behind the $(Q) and $(ECHO) variable in you makefile.
> Does this make the utility to hide the compilation listing?

I normally don't like to see the compiler lines (once they work they
just add clutter).

Q and ECHO are defined as follows:

ECHO    = @echo

ifeq ($(v),)
    export verbose = 0
else
    export verbose = 1
endif
ifeq ($(verbose),)
    export verbose = 0
endif

ifeq ($(verbose),0)
        Q = @
        MAKEFLAGS += -s
else
        Q =
endif
export Q

So you can say one of:

make v=1 ...specify targets here...
make verbose=1 ...specify targets here...

to get the full commands listed. Otherwise you just get a  short
Compiling blah ...

FORCE is just an empty target

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
#       The FORCE target can be used for things that you want to have rebuild
#       every single time (like *.pp files)
#

FORCE:

.PHONY: FORCE

If you want to see the whole Rules file, you can see it over here:
<http://websvn.gumstix.com/filedetails.php?repname=Buildroot&path=%2Fbranches%2Fprojects%2Frobostix%2FRules.mk&rev=0&sc=0>

If's designed for building relatively simple projects where you have a
.c file with the same name as the .elf file, plus some other sources,
and possibly some sources from the common directory.

The robostix uses an ATMega128, although I'm also using it on other
ATMega processors as well.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada