Re: [avr-gcc-list] generating a delay

From: Royce Pereira
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] generating a delay
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:53:02 +0530

Hi,

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:37:40 +0530, varsha <address@hidden> wrote:

 what is the proper way to write a delay routine?

I use this:
//========================
void delay(unsigned count)
        {
                while(count--);
                return;
        }
for really long delays, one may used an unsigned long instead of unsigned.

For accurate delays it's better to set up a hardware timer, with interrupt enabled.

I always have a 1ms tick, which I can use for various chores like keyboard/display scanning. or for clocking one or more software sub-timers which may be used for beeping a buzzer, or flashing an LED @ 1 Hz, etc.

--Royce.