Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging gcc output with AVR studio

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Debugging gcc output with AVR studio
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:32:14 +0200 (MET DST)

David Braendler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is the gcc compiled using --with-dwarf2?

The WinAVR one?  Yes, it is.

> Actually I came to this after trying to use avarice (complained
> about innappropriate ioctl ).

Again, on Windows?  It must be a Cygwin thingie.  What ioctl?  Do you
have more than one cygwin*.dll?

> Avrdude totally crashes.

Can you explain more?

You're the first one to report this, and mind you, we're talking about
a version of WinAVR that has been used for several months by many,
many people yet nobody so far reported crashes and inappropriate ioctl
failures -- so I'm somewhat suspecting your Windows setup.  (Whatever
it might be -- I'm not a Windows user myself.)

> Looking at both these things with portmon it appears that a couple
> of the commands being issued are not recognised be the STK500
> firmware version 4, and version 2.01.

The AVRDUDE and AVaRICE versions that came with the last version of
WinAVR are unable to handle the STK500 firmware rev 2.x, and the JTAG
ICE mkII.

AVRDUDE just released version 5.0 that is able to work with STK500 v2.
Sources can be found here:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/avrdude/avrdude-5.0.tar.gz

A Win32 binary version that might or might not work for you (just a
plain archive, no fancy installer, no uninstall support):

http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/avr/avrdude-5.0-w32.zip

> I think that generating an elf file with debug information is the
> correct way to go from a web search.

It's the only way that is directly supported by GCC. ;-)

In short, there are three options:

GCC              Conversion                   Debugger

ELF with
-gstabs          none                         AVR-GDB
-gstabs          avr-objcopy -O coff-ext-avr  AVR Studio (old format)
                                              VMLAB
-gdwarf-2        none                         AVR Studio (new format)
                                              (AVR-GDB, not fully
                                              supported yet)