Re: [avr-gcc-list] Newbie, downloadable access to list archive

From: Mark Elkins
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:13:42 +0200

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 18:46 -0600, Thomas Keller wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 20:54 +0200, Mark J Elkins wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I recently joined this list.
> > I have a project which is for a Scuba video camera housing... ie a
> > Waterproof housing for a Video Camera - which when buttons are pushed
> > (magnets passing close to reed switches) - performs various things like
> > switching (or flashing) some LED's, and sending LANC commands (and
> > receiving status conditions - ie Record is ON) to the attached video
> > camera...
>
>   Welcome.
>
>   If I might offer a tyhought for an improvement.  Rather than using
> magnets and reed switches, go with the Quantum Electronics QPROX
> capacitive switch controllers.
>
>   These inexpensive, simple to use ICs wil per mit you to create
> "pushbuttons" by etching a simple interdigitated pattern on a small PC
> board, and gluing (or otherwise attaching) it to the inside of your
> housing.  Simply place your finger on the holusing over the pattern, and
> the chip will signal a switch closing to your processor.  For 4
> switches, I believe the parts cost about $2 each.

Thanks Tom, however,

Those who are into diving will note that top end dive computers (eg the
VR3 http://www.vr3.co.uk/ come with the same sort of switches I'm
talking about. This Camera Housing is rated down to silly depths (150M).
The Housing is aluminium and never thinner than 5mm. You need Big
Positive buttons - think about cold fingers in neoprene gloves.
I'm also a Dive Instructor (and own a VR3).. (but thanks for the info).

...But this is all off the subject - Has **anyone** got a complete
archive of the mailing list that I can download???