Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR assembly for fast bit bang

From: Mike S.
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] AVR assembly for fast bit bang
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:55:23 +0000

Hello to all,
My code is:

#define ADS1210_PORT PORTF
#define SDIO_BIT     0x04 /* 0b0000 0100 PORTF.2*/
#define CLK_BIT      0x02 /* 0b0000 0010 PORTF.1*/
#define SDOUT_BIT    0x01 /* 0b0000 0001 PORTF.0*/

#define SDIO_LOW    ADS1210_PORT &= ~SDIO_BIT
#define SDIO_HIGH   ADS1210_PORT |=  SDIO_BIT
#define CLK_LOW   ADS1210_PORT &= ~CLK_BIT
#define CLK_HIGH  ADS1210_PORT |=  CLK_BIT
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Function: write_data                                                        |
| Args:     n_bits                                                            |
| Action:  Writes <n_bits> in the device SDIO input pin                       |
| Efects:                                                                     |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
void write_data (Word towrite, Byte nbits)
{
  Byte n;

  for(n = 0; n < nbits; n++)
  {

    CLK_HIGH;
    if( towrite & (0x0001 << n))
    {
      SDIO_HIGH;
    }
    else
    {
      SDIO_LOW;
    }
    CLK_LOW;

  }
}

I haven't decided yet if I will use the AT90CAN128 SPI module or do it
by bit bang! My uC runs at 16MHz. The device I'm interfacing with
supports serial clock rates up to 2 MHz. In the past, I already made a
driver for this device for the Philips XA-S3 in C and in Assembler
(the asm was for the bit bang part), and now I want to port that
driver to the AVR. The problem is that I don't have a lot of
experience with the AVR assembly! That is why I'm asking this question
(wrong guess David Kelly, but thanks for the reply). BTW, is your code
snippet correct?
Thanks for the reply Daniel O'Connor, but I usually don't use the
optimization until I try a couple of and optimization techniques. I
already had some bad experiences with the optimization in some Texas
Instruments DSPs...
I use AVR-GCC.

Thanks to all replies.

Thanks in advance